Contributions of South Korean Registered Nurses in Anesthesia Practice
Introduction: Certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNAs) were recognized by law as legitimate anesthesia providers in Korea 44 years ago. Since 2005, CRNAs have been educated at the graduate level and certified by national examination. In recent years, the number of graduate educational programs has decreased and the number of practicing CRNAs has declined correspondingly. To meet the shortfall, hospitals train registered nurses to perform anesthesia. This study examined registered nurses in anesthesia (RNAs) and CRNAs in anesthesia care in South Korea.
Materials and Methods: A confidential survey was administered to a sample of 308 nurses in anesthesia practice. The chi-square independent test and independent two-sample t-test for continuous variables were used for comparison.
Results: While all were involved in anesthesia, RNAs were more likely to work under supervision. Almost 34% of the participants planned to leave anesthesia practice within the next 5 years, and nearly 20% of participants indicated that they planned to retire within 5 years.
Discussion: RNAs are an integral part of anesthesia services in Korea, although they are not certified and lack clear scope of practice. The authors recommend a pathway for RNAs to obtain advanced degrees and certification as anesthesia providers.
2. Jeong G, Hayden S, Park S. The future of certified registered nurse anesthetists in South Korea: fading into the sunset of breaking of a new dawn. AANA J. 2017;85(5):361-367.
3. Kim S. The Beginning & Change of the Korean Anesthesia Nursing [PhD thesis]. Pusan, Republic of Korea: Catholic University of Pusan; 2014:1-114.
4. Shin SR, Oh PJ. A study on the demand for nurse anesthetists in Korea. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs. 2004;11(2):195-202.
5. History of Korean certified registered nurse anesthetists. Korean Association of Nurse anesthetists (KANA). http://www.korea-ana.co.kr/v3/sub2_01.php. Published 2015. Accessed Feb 1, 2018.
6. Bai C, Yoon H. Comparison of job task and task elements of Korean nurse anesthetists by the type of medical institution: hospital, general hospital and higher general hospital. J Korean Acad Nurse Adm. 2013;19(2):239-253. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.239.
7. Kwak C-Y, Park J-A. Current roles and administrative facts of the Korean physician assistant. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2014;14(10):583-595. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.583.
8. Cho MS, Cho YA, Kwon IG, Seo MJ, Baek HJ. Importance, satisfaction and contribution of advanced practice nurses’ role recognized by health care professionals. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm. 2011;17(2):168-179. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.2.168.
9. Lee HJ. Role adoption process for physician assistant. Asia-Pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 2017;7(4):941-957. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2017.04.86.
10. Kim MJ, Sohn D, Jeung ME, Kang IS. Perception of Healthcare Providers on Physician Assistant's Job. Research Institute of Nursing Science, Pusan National University; 2015:5(1).
11. Foster S, Faut-Callahan M. A Professional Study and Resource Guide for the CRNA. Park Ridge, IL: AANA Publishing; 2014.
12. About the Profession. American Society of Anesthesiologists. https://www.asahq.org/For-the-Public-and-Media/About-Profession.aspx. Accessed November 22, 2017.
13. Number of active physicians in the U.S. in 2017, by specialty area. Statista. https://www.statista.com/statistics/209424/us-number-of-active-physicians-by-specialty-area/. Accessed November 22, 2017.
14. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. Comparison of Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs) and Anesthesiologist Assistants (AAs). https://iowacrnas.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/crna-aa-comparison-table-update-102014-1.pdf. Accessed November 26, 2017.
15. Bankert M. Watchful Care: A History of America’s Nurse Anesthetists. New York: Continuum Publishing Company; 1989:164.
16. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists Fact Sheet. https://www.aana.com/membership/become-a-crna/crna-fact-sheet. Updated October 10, 2017. Accessed April 13, 2018.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors agree to the Creative Commons License listed below, which can be viewed by clicking the link below.
This work will be licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.