Preoperative Interventions for Prevention of Hypothermia
Perioperative hypothermia can be a significant issue for surgical patients. Active warming methods initiated in the preoperative period may assist in the prevention of perioperative hypothermia. A literature review was conducted to provide a summary and resource to clinicians based on an evidence-based, practical, bedside approach to pre-warming adult surgical populations and to highlight the further need for research. The literature review addresses preoperative warming recommendations, including warming methods and desired length of warming time. The literature supports the practice of preoperative warming for adult surgical patients to prevent or decrease the incidence of perioperative hypothermia.
2. de Brito Poveda V, Clark AM, Galvão CM. A systematic review on the effectiveness of prewarming to prevent perioperative hypothermia. J Clin Nurs. 2013;22(7/8):906-918. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04287.x.
3. Roberson MC, Dieckmann LS, Rodriguez RE, Austin PN. A review of the evidence for active preoperative warming of adults undergoing general anesthesia. AANA J. 2013;81(5):351-356.
4. Oxman AD; GRADE Working Group. Grading quality of evidence and strength of recommendations. BMJ. 2004;328(19):1490-1494.
5. Andrzejowski J, Hoyle J, Eapen G, Turnbull D. Effect of prewarming on post-induction core temperature and the incidence of inadvertent perioperative hypothermia in patients undergoing general anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth. 2008;101(5):627-631. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aen272.
6. Hooven K. Preprocedure warming maintains normothermia throughout the perioperative period: a quality improvement project. J Perianesth Nurs. 2011;26(1):9-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2010.07.013.
7. Kramer SL. Pre-warming to maintain perioperative normothermia. J Perianesth Nurs. 2013;28(3):e51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2013.04.144.
8. Erdling A, Johansson A. Core temperature—the intraoperative difference between esophageal versus nasopharyngeal temperatures and the impact of prewarming, age, and weight: a randomized clinical trial. AANA J. 2015;83(2):99-105.
9. Shin KM, Ahn JH, Kim IS, et al. The efficacy of pre-warming on reducing intraprocedural hypothermia in endovascular coiling of cerebral aneurysms. BMC Anesthesiol. 2015;15(1):8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2253-15-8.
10. Perl T, Peichl LH, Reyntjens K, Deblaere I, Zaballos JM, Bräuer A. Efficacy of a novel prewarming system in the prevention of perioperative hypothermia. A prospective, randomized, multicenter study. Minerva Anestesiol. 2014;80(4):436-443.
11. De Witte JL, Demeyer C, Vandemaele E. Resistive-heating or forced-air warming for the prevention of redistribution hypothermia. Anesth Analg. 2010;110(3):829-833. https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0b013e3181cb3ebf.
12. Horn EP, Bein B, Böhm R, Steinfath M, Sahili N, Höcker J. The effect of short time periods of pre-operative warming in the prevention of peri-operative hypothermia. Anaesthesia. 2012;67(6):612-617. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.2012.07073.x.
13. Rowley B, Kerr M, Van Poperin J, Everett C, Stommel M, Lehto RH. Perioperative warming in surgical patients: a comparison of interventions. Clin Nurs Res. 2015;24(4):432-441. https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773814535428.
14. Fettes S, Mulvaine M, Van Doren E. Effect of preoperative forced-air warming on postoperative temperature and postanesthesia care unit length of stay. AORN J. 2013;97(3):323-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aorn.2012.12.011.
15. Adriani MB, Moriber N. Preoperative forced-air warming combined with intraoperative warming versus intraoperative warming alone in the prevention of hypothermia during gynecologic surgery. AANA J. 2013;81(6):446-451.
16. Nicholson M. A comparison of warming interventions on the temperatures of inpatients undergoing colorectal surgery. AORN J. 2013;97(3):310-322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aorn.2012.12.018.
17. Díaz M, Becker DE. Thermoregulation: physiological and clinical considerations during sedation and general anesthesia. Anesth Prog. 2010;57(1):25-33. https://doi.org/10.2344/0003-3006-57.1.25
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors agree to the Creative Commons License listed below, which can be viewed by clicking the link below.
This work will be licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.